8.21.2011

Deliciousness: Pretzel Bites

Cooking always gives me a little pick-me-up when I'm feeling sad or bored, or need to feel like I've accomplished something. With the Dr. at Vascular Fellows Bootcamp in Houston all weekend, I needed something to do. So, I whipped up a batch of pretzel bites and invited the neighbors over for some board games!

Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites & Vanilla Glaze

I followed Jonna's recipe from Get Off Your Butt and Bake! You can find it here. The genius of this recipe lies in the fact that you get to use purchased, frozen dinner rolls as the base for your pretzels! Jonna recommends Rhodes Texas-sized rolls, so that's what I bought. The recipe says you have to thaw them out, so genius me, I decided to toss the whole bag of rolls in the refrigerator to thaw out overnight. I, um, exploded the bag (these are yeast rolls). Oops. Actually it wasn't too bad, the bag had popped a seam and a big chunk of dough had oozed out. I just cut that part off and continued with the recipe as written, except that I had one ginormous piece of dough to work from instead of individual rolls. Ah, well.

Garlic Parmesan Pretzel Bites

I followed the recipe for the cinnamon sugar bites exactly as outlined in the original recipe, except that I didn't need to let the balls of dough rise before boiling, and I forgot to grease the baking sheet. Don't forget to do this. For the parmesan version, I added a generous shaking of garlic salt to the parmesan before I rolled the bites, and they were DELICIOUS.

I'll definitely be making these again! They're quick, easy and inexpensive, plus you can make a huge platter full of pretzel bites out of just one bag of rolls, so they'd be great for parties.

Oh, and the board game we played?

Mid-Life Crisis, ca 1982. What can I say? I go for the obscure.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    Wow...you are so darn talented!
    I really got a good laugh about the exploding bag of Rhodes Rolls, but I'm glad they turned out and you enjoyed them. You can also make fabulous scones from the thawed dough as well...just in case you have dough left over. Take a roll size piece of dough and stretch it out or roll it out in a circle about 1/8" thick. Place in hot oil, and fry until golden on both sides. They puff up and become beautiful golden pillows. Just serve them with butter & jam!

    I do believe that I need that game as well....for my own Mid-life crisis days!

    Thanks for visiting,
    Jonna
    Get Off Your Butt and BAKE!

    ReplyDelete