6.16.2006

Anchors Aweigh!

One last post before Jonathan and I head off for vacation; we leave for our cruise tomorrow! Looks like we'll be taking almost the same cruise as Jennifer of pieknits, as we stop in Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios, Jamaica. We've booked the Atlantis Submarine excursion for Grand Cayman, and I'm hoping to talk Jonathan into Dunns River Falls in Jamaica. Unfortunately for me, the hubby really detests knitting in public, so I'll likely not be taking any knitting with me. (Maybe a small project for the car?) I'm going to try to get some shots of my Knitty contribution while we're on the trip. . .sleeves are resest!

In other knitting news, I've joined the Hurricane Sock Party 2006, a cool site brainstormed by Christy and Becky. Personally I think this was a really brilliant idea; make partners, complete 1 sock each, and ship that sock and the remaining yarn, along with some other goodies, to knitsters in the hurricane zone. Awesome! Not only do you then have to make only 1 sock, thus defeating the dreaded SSS, but you also get something to do while your power is out and make a new friend along the way! Thanks guys for organizing this!

I suppose I should complete the official questionnaire for my buddy:


1. Repeat after me: "No hurricanes, no hurricanes, no hurricanes." Okay, we just had to get that one out of the way first. We needed to created a bit of "Good weather karma!" GRIN


2. If your pet(s) wrote a paragraph about you to describe you to us what would they say? (If you have no pets then just pretend you husband or best friend wrote it! This is a 3rd person writing exercise that is always fun.)

My owner is a very forgetful person, who frequently forgets to feed us two or three days in a row. We are fearful for our lives this week while she is gone because there will be no food! (Fishies 1, 2, & 3)


3. What is your favorite hurricane supplies snack?

PB&J!


4. Do sock patterns normally fit you "as written" or do you usually modify them for size in any way? (other than foot length)

They generally do fit "as written." I have only attempted two pairs of socks to date; the first was intended to be for me but I wound up selling to someone else. They fit my foot by knitting to pattern.


4a. What are your foot measurements, not just shoe size? (Measure the length of your foot from heel to toe, then the ball of your foot. )

9" long, 11 1/2" around ankle (from ball of heel to top of ankle)


5. What one city abroad would you visit and why if money was no object? (and terrorism was non-existent)

Whatever city the pyramids are in. . .definitely want to see those before I die. Or Rome, to see the Colosseum. : )


6. Do you wear socks all year round or just during the winter? Do you prefer them tall or short or regular height?

Winter? What's that? The only place I ever wear socks is to work, either at the office, because it is cold, or at the restaurant, because I have to. : ) I prefer regular to tall height.


7. The last time the power was out during hurricane season (or bad weather of any kind) did you knit by lantern or were you lucky enough to knit to the humm of a generator? Or did you knit at all?

Actually last year's Hurricane Wilma was my first hurricane ever. It was awesome! I was off work for a week (paid), the weather was amazing, and the only inconvenience was having no electricity! The hubby and I lit lots of candles and played cards together every night. During the day I went shopping (our stores were open surprisingly soon afterwards), painted the guest room, and killed time. Unfortunately I don't remember any knitting, but there must have been some!


8. Make a wish for your favorite sock yarn that you've already used once. What would it be? Don't be shy about listing an exact colorway or two if you'd like.

Well, as I said above I've only knit two pairs of socks. One was of Lion Brand's Magic Stripes yarn, and the current pair is of Caron's Simply Soft. (Nice thick socks for the hubby!)


9. What is it about sock knitting that keeps you wanting to knit more and more socks?

Actually, I'm not an avid sock knitter as a lot of people are. I enjoy knitting socks because of the change of pace provided with the dpn's and watching the socks take shape under the unusual construction method.


10. Make a wish for a sock yarn that you are dying to try but haven't bought for yourself yet. (be specific,even colorway if you'd like)

I hear Lorna's Laces is just fabulous, they have a lot of nice colorways. Anything hand-made is nice, too. . .I've seen a lot of lovely Kool-Aid dyed sock yarn floating around the blogosphere.


11. What size needles do you knit socks for YOURSELF with the most? Are they circular or bamboo needles? What brand?

I have only one pair of dpn's, size 3 Boye Aluminums. (Love the aluminums!)


12. If you could only take 3 yarn related books and one previously knitted project that you love with you when you evacuated what would they be?

Hmm. . .Debbie Stoller's Stitch N' Bitch, Debbie Stoller's Stitch N' Bitch Nation, a knitting magazine of some sort, and my just-completed, self-designed kimono.


13. What knitting notion do you wish you had that you just keep putting off getting for yourself?

Stitch markers, absolutely. Right now I'm using hair elastics. Ugh!


14. What is your favorite tv show?

Well, the ones I would always watch if I saw them on would be:
  1. Sex & The City
  2. That 70's Show
  3. I Love Lucy
  4. Campus Ladies
  5. Gilmore Girls
  6. The Dick Van Dyke Show


15. Do you want a lacey sock or a "solid fabric" sock from your hurricane sister?

Solid fabric, please! : )


16. It's midnight, the power has been off for two days, its hot, and you have a craving for something sweet! What would it be? (This is a FOOD related question ladies! LOL)

Hmm. . .Little Debbies' Oatmeal Cream Pies? Yummy!


17. Tell us a story about any of your hurricane weather related experiences.

Hmm. . . see #7 above!


18. What was the one thing you wish you had remembered to get last year for hurricane supplies that you swore you wouldn't forget this year?

We did okay. . .this year I would buy more batteries since most of ours died on day 5. I would also probably buy some sort of butane gas burner, too. Last year we tried cooking scrambled eggs with a blowtorch. . .a little runny and gas-flavored for my taste.


19. What color sock would you like to recieve from your sock sister? (if you don't have a pref just say so otherwise give us a hint!)

I hate to be boring and practical, but the ones I would probably wear the most would be black or brown. : ) If that's too boring to stomach, maybe a nice blue or pink colorway!


Well, that's all the questions for now, unless my not-so-secret-anymore swap partner has more for me. . .Laura?

In other news, I finished a sock! And, just to prove I'm not suffering from too much SSS, I am posting a picture of the second sock as well.

Looky looky!

And the second one is in progress already!

Well, the house is in order, my nails are done, my jewelry is clean, and I'm all set to leave for vacation! Oh, wait. . .gotta go pack the bags!

Till next time,
Sarah

1 comment: